RECOVERY | RESILIENCY
Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) is a public education program that helps participants identify, understand, and respond to signs of mental illnesses and substance use disorders.
Content is offered in an interactive, 8-hour course that:
- Presents an overview of mental illnesses and substance use disorders in the US
- Introduces participants to risk factors and warning signs of mental health challenges
- Builds understanding of the impact of those challenges
- Overviews common treatments
Just as CPR training helps a layperson without medical training assist an individual following a heart attack, Mental Health First Aid training helps a layperson assist someone experiencing a mental health crisis.
Mental Health First Aid teaches you to:
- Recognize the potential risk factors and warning signs for a range of mental health problems, including: depression, anxiety/trauma, psychosis and psychotic disorders, substance use disorders, and self-injury.
- Use a 5-step action plan to help an individual in crisis connect with appropriate professional help.
- Interpret the prevalence of various mental health disorders in the U.S. and the need for reduced negative attitudes in their communities.
- Apply knowledge of the appropriate professional, peer, social, and self-help resources available to help someone with a mental health challenge treat and manage it and achieve recovery.
Specific topics covered include:
- Substance use
- Eating disorders
- Disruptive behavior disorders
Youth Mental Health First Aid and the Difference from the standard course
Youth Mental Health First Aid (YMHFA) is an 8-hour, in-person certification course for adults who regularly interact with young people.
It teaches them how to help adolescents (age 12-18) like:
- Social Workers
- Probation Officers
- Camp Counselors
- Community Members
- Health & Human Service Workers
Mental Health First Aid teaches about recovery and resiliency – the belief that individuals experiencing these challenges can and do get better, and use their strengths to stay well.
Youth Mental Health First Aid is centered on strategies for supporting adolescents who are experiencing mental health or substance use challenges or who are in crisis. The course introduces common mental health challenges for youth, reviews typical adolescent development versus potential warning signs, and teaches a 5-step action plan for how to help young people in both crisis and non-crisis situations.
You can register for a scheduled class by visiting our Upcoming Events site and search for MHFA or YMHFA courses.
For more information or to request Mental Health First Aid Training in your community, contact:
Resources & Links